Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Me and The Poor Souls in Purgatory

The Poor Souls being released during Mass
The Poor Souls in Purgatory and I have a long relationship.  One of the favorite phrases of the Nuns and Sisters that taught me over the years was, "Offer it up for the Poor Souls in Purgatory."  As a child I really didn't think too much about those Poor Souls.  I thought like a child and did not understand just how much those Poor Souls needed my prayers.

As I matured I would often say to others, "Offer it up for the Poor Souls in Purgatory."  I said it more out of habit and less about an understanding of what the simple phrase truly meant.

Saint Faustina writes in her diary about her visit to Purgatory.
[The next night] I saw my Guardian Angel, who ordered me to follow him.  In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls.  They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves, only we can come to their aid.  The flames which were burning them did not touch me at all.  My Guardian Angel did not leave me for an instant.  I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was.  They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God.  I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in Purgatory.  The souls call her, "The Star of the Sea."  She brings them refreshment.  I wanted to talk with them some more, but my Guardian Angel beckoned me to leave. [I heard an interior voice] which said, My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it.  Since that time I am in closer communion with the suffering souls. Notebook 1- 20

Saint Gertrude the Great also had an affinity for the Poor Souls.  She wrote many beautiful prayers for them.  Our Lord told her that He would release as many souls as she asked for during Holy Communion.  He released more than she dared ask for.  I pray them daily.

It really became clear to me as Michael was dying and we talked about life, death, eternal life, Heaven, Hell and of course Purgatory; that Michael would be spending time in Purgatory.  As Father Kelly told me once, "Cindy, it is not if we are going to Purgatory, it is a matter of how long we will be there."

As the Poor Souls can not pray for themselves, only for us, Michael and I made a promise to each other.  We would pray for each other that our time in Purgatory would be short.

Please consider the Poor Souls for there are many that have no one to pray for them.  They are destitute and desperately in need of prayer.

Consider this:  During the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass all three Churches come together; The Church Triumphant (the Saints), The Church Militant (us), and The Church Suffering (The Poor Souls).

From Saint Ambrose comes this prayers: "We have loved him dearly during life.  Let us not abandon him until we have conducted him by our prayers into the house of the Lord."


Holy Mary, our Lady of Deliverance, pray for us and for the holy souls in purgatory.  Amen

~Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment